Friday is the day that I have most of my 60 minutes of yard duty. Usually things are pretty quiet - I chat with children hanging around me or I just wander and watch keeping everyone safe. Occasionally I deal with a little more foul language than I'd like or some pretty aggressive behaviour.
Today was a lot different. It was a beautiful sunny day and all was going smoothly until I heard a terrible scream. I turn to find a little preppie (ie kindergartener) screaming and walking towards me. I run to her to see an arm looking nothing like an arm should look. Instead of a regular straight line it had an S bend BELOW the wrist. The poor thing, it was obvious, had broken her arm. Needless to say I tried my best to clear the rest of the kids away and I called for back up.
I can't tell you how brave this little girl was. At first she was wailing but after not too many seconds she was calm and just asking for her mom. Shock does do a wonderful thing for the body when it's under severe stress.
I don't think I'll ever forget the sight of her arm. It's definitely another memory from my year here in Australia.
Oct 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I would have run away from her haha.
Post a Comment