Nov 2, 2009

Tassie Oct 29 - Nov 1, 2009


Thursday after work I headed off to the airport to catch a flight to Launceston, Tasmania.  I met my sister Judy at the airport with only a few minutes to spare but we arrived safely on Tasmania about one hour later.

The next morning we boarded a small bus and travelled towards Cradle Mountain.  As we drove towards our first stop I admired the green rolling hills, the mountains in the back ground and the many many sheep.  It was stunning to see so many colours.

Our first stop was in the town of Sheffield.  It is famous for its many wall murals which depict the history of the area.


One of Many Wall Murals on Sheffield

From Sheffield we headed to Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.  After a snoop around the visitor centre we headed to the start of our hike.  Lucky for us the sky was clear and I was able to take a few photos of Cradle Mountain and its reflection on Dove Lake. Cradle Mountain was named that because if you look carefuly there is a little baby sleeping between the two higher peaks.

Because we were on a small organized tour we didn't have time to hike all the way to the base of the mountain so we chose to hike to Marion's Look Out.  The hike up was beautiful as we passed lakes, streams, and a variety of vegetation.  Unfortunately the weather wasn't all that cooperative and as we got closer to our destination the rain just poured and we got utterly soaked.  In addition by the time we got to the lookout we were totally socked in and couldn't see anything except white clouds all around us.


Cradle Mountain


Wombat Pool

Cradle Mountain from the Lookout

A Quick Chance for a photo with the Mountain Showing in the Background

After layering on all the clothing we had (and could borrow from our guide) we headed back down towards the carpark.  We took a slightly different route back and it took us past Cradle Lake, and Crater Falls.

Cradle Lake

         Cradle Falls

Judy doing her very best to keep warm.

Our final stop was at a local cheese factory where we were able to try all types of cheese.  My two favourites were the  Wasabi Cheddar, and the Lavendar Cheddar.  From there we arrived safely back in Launceston.  Judy and I and managed to stumble upon a great Italian restaurant for dinner. Once we were warm and feed all we could talk about was what a great day we had.

The following morning we jumped into our car and made the two hour journey to Freycinet National Park.  Again the views that surrounded us as we drove through the windy quiet roads were amazing.  After paying our park entrance fee, and on the recommendation of the park ranger our first stop was at the Carp Bay Lookout.  Our next stop was at Honeymoon Bay before we finally parked the car at the carpark for the Wineglass Bay hike.


View from Carp Bay
(You can see Wine Glass Bay in the far back)


Honeymoon Bay
(This photo does not do the water colours any justice)

The hike up to the lookout to Wineglass Bay says it's a 45 minute hike (90 minutes return).  With in about twenty minutes or so (stopping for photos along the way) Judy and I were at the look out.  The view of the bay was amazing as too were the views of the large rocks that surrounded us.

Obviously the lookout wasn't good enough for us so we hiked down the other side to spend some time right on Wineglass Bay.  It took us about 45 minutes to go from the car park to the white sand of wineglass bay, and even less time to get back (less stopping for photos).  The sun was warm and there was nothing Judy or I could complain about.


Wine Glass Bay from the Lookout

The Rocks and Boulders

Wineglass Bay up close and personal!

From Freycinet National Park Judy and I travelled towards Bicheno on the East Coast of Tasmania.  Along the way we stopped for a quick view at Friendly Beaches.  About forty minutes later we were in Bicheno checking into our motel.  The hosts were really fantastic.  They helped us out with everything we needed including offering to have breakfast delivered to our door in the morning for a very reasonable price.  Obviously Judy and I took advantage of that luxury (and it was really good too).


Friendly Beaches

While we were cleaning up for the day of hiking in the heat Nancy H. and her hubby Mike (from  Canada) made their way over to our motel.  Luck had it they were also in the same part of Australia on the same night as we were.  It was so great to see them both and Nancy gave me the biggest hug ever.  So there I was surrounded by my sister and my friends.  It felt so nice.

We headed for diner in Bicheno before heading back to their cabin for some Aussie wine.  We sat out on a beach right at the waterside and we were surrounded by these incredible rocks.  The coast line here in Bicheno was a different type of beautiful.


Bicheno Coast Line


Nancy and I enjoying Wine at the Beach
(The water is just right infront of us)

After two bottles of wine were finished Mike drove Judy and I back to our motel.  As we were leaving their sight we saw heaps of Possums milling about.  I tried to capture one in the tree.


Mr. Possum
After a good sleep (okay maybe a bit red wine induced), and a wonderful motel service breakfast, Judy and I  snooped around Bicheno one last time before heading Deloriane in North West (ish) Tasmania.


The Bicheno Blow Hole

The reason why we headed to Deloraine was because we happened to be on Tasmania on the weekend of the Tasmanian Craft Fair and it was being held there.  Judy and I snooped around there a bit walking from venue to venue.  In the end the items available weren't all that impressive but it was nice to walk around the town.  Having said that though I picked up a super cute winter hat and judy picked up a great scarf/shall/poncho type thing.

So from Deloraine we headed back to the airport, flew back to Melbourne (exhausted) and had a great Thai meal.  I went off to work on Monday, and Nancy and Mike arrived in Melbourne.  So by the time I got home from work Judy, Mike, and Nancy were all here chatting up a storm and preparing a wonder dinner.  Obviously more red wine was provided and it was a great evening.

Today, it's Melbourne Cup day which is a public holiday in Melbourne so I don't have to go to work.  I'm not heading to the race course but I have been invited out to a Melbourne Cup BBQ. Nancy and Mike are off to visit some of their friends here too.

More on Melbourne Cup perhaps in another blog later today.  In the mean time I'm going to go back to enjoying my Canadian company.

No comments: