Mar 17, 2009

Family Picnic Night

Tonight my school hosted a family picnic.  The school community was invited to bring their evening meal to eat on the oval (the field).  In addition this week is Harmony Week - a celebration of Australia's cultural diversity.  The families were invited to come to the picnic dressed in their national costumes.  Fourteen of my twenty two students turned up and it was great to see them with their families. 

One student in another 1/2 class decided that he was going to dress as a Canadian.  I was shocked when I saw him because he was wearing a CANUCKS jersey and a Montreal Canadian's hat.  His father had been on a business trip to North America and these were two of his souvenirs.  I don't think he knows how lucky he is to have that amazing jersey.  Apparently he has one from Toronto too but I said that he choose the better jersey!  Anyhow I had to take a photo.  

Unfortunately I was slow to get my camera out and so I only took a few pictures of my students.  With the permission of their parents here are some of my students.  You'll notice that some are dressed in their national costumes.

Maggie (grade 1)

Ridwan (grade 1) and Farrel (grade 1)


Arsyi (grade 2)


Alya (grade 1)


Praniv (grade 2) and his mom

The picnic was a great idea and it didn't take much to organize it.  The children were happy to be there and I think the parents enjoyed it too.  For me although it made for a long day (I didn't leave school until after 8 pm and I rode home for the first time in the dark) it was nice to chat with my students and their parents in a casual environment.   



3 comments:

D said...

That's AWESOME! But did you educate him that no real Canadian would ever wear a Canucks jersey AND Canadians hat? hehe :)

Julian13 said...

That looks like a great evening, Karen. Fancy seeing a Canuks jersey, spooky!

Tracey Randall said...

Wish you were here tonight to join the Canucks party on the Vancouver streets!!
I've always been a Leafs fan since my Great-Grandfather won 2 Stanley Cups back in the early days... but I cheer on Vancouver just as hard while I'm here, that's for sure!