A couple of months back I decided I was going to visit Canberra (pronounced Can-bra) the Capital of Australia. When I told people I was going there the response was either - "why there?" or "cool it's a great little city". Anyhow having just returned I'm really glad I went. I actually wish I had MORE time
On Saturday I left on an 8 am flight. It was an early start but things went smoothly getting to the airport, and flying to Canberra. By nine am I was in Canberra. I tried to see if I could get my bed early at the hostel I was staying at but no luck. So I set out by foot to visit some of the attractions.
Canberra is situated approximately half way between Melbourne and Sydney and it's a territory on land that used to be a part of New South Whales. It was a totally planned out city. My first impression of Canberra was a positive one. It seemed so clean , orderly and green. It didn't hurt that it was warm and sunny too.
The walk from the Civic Centre to the Parliament area was about 45 min. Along the way I crossed a bridge. You see, Canberra is build around Lake Burley Griffin. There is an incredible serious of paths for cyclist all over the city. I also saw a ton of road bikers out riding.
Lake Burley Griffin
My first sight seeing stop was at Parliament House. The present Parliament house opened in 1988. Apparently it's joked to be the most expensive building in Australia (it was actually build into a hillside). Entrance was free (as it was for most places I visited in Canberra) and I snooped around the building. It was quite impressive. I even learned a bit about Australian government.
Parliament House
Senate Room
View from the Roof (looking out towards Old Parliament house and across the lake to the Australian War Memorial)
From Parliament it was a short walk to Old Parliament House. It was really cool to be able to wonder through there. Because it is no longer in operation I was able to snoop in and out of several different rooms in the building - places that would other wise be under tight security.
From Old Parliament House I walked passed the Aboriginal Tent Assembly, to the National Gallery of Australia. I then walked around some more, past the National Portrait Gallery, Questacon (Canberra's Science World but apparently much bigger and better), the National Library, and the Reconciliation Place. Then I made my way back to the Hostel to check in and drop off my bag.
I then headed (again by foot) to the National Museum of Australia. I learned a lot in this Museum about the history of Australia. It's too bad I couldn't take pictures as I saw many interesting things. I even bought a book called Aussie English for Beginners and so I now have a clearer understanding of words like Dinkum, Bunyip, Ocker, and Larrikin.
View of National Museum of Australia from a bridge
An outside exhibit titled "The Garden of Australian Dreams"
After being very exhausted from being on my feet all day, and walking several kms I headed back to the hostel. Along the was I walked through the Civic Centre. In the evening it was packed with people and there was actually an outdoor movie playing. I was impressed by how alive the city seemed.
Civic Centre (late afternoon)
It came to life in the evening with many restaurants with outside seating.
The next morning I was up early (remember I don't really sleep here in Australia) and took myself for breakfast. I returned to the hostel, checked out and headed for another long walk. I walked from the Civic Centre to the Kingston area of town to check out the Old Bus Depot Market. I walked along the lake for a long time, crossed a different bridge than Saturday, and made my way to the market. I was impressed with what was for sale and I even bought a couple of things (I've been to several markets in Melbourne but I haven't bought anything yet). At the entrance to the market there was a small band and I listened to a man play the didgeridoo. From there I walked around Kingston (I found a great cafe area) before heading to the Australian War Memorial.
The small band at the market. Can you see the the didgeridoo?
From Kingston I made my way back towards the Australian War Memorial. I was told that it was impressive and required a lot of time. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. I'm really not much of a history buff but this memorial was incredible. The photos below don't even remotely do it justice.
View looking up the special Anzac Pde towards the War Memorial
(there are even monuments along Anzac Pde)
The Roll of Honour
(It lists the Australian soldiers that fought in both the first and second world wars)
A tiny sample of one of the displays inside the building.
In the end I'm really glad I went to Canberra. I did have a bit of knowledge over load, and maybe I walked just a bit too much (my toes are sore) but it's a beautiful little city with a lot to offer. It's too bad it has such a bummed reputation.
3 comments:
Great photos. Canberra is on Mike's list, because of the architecture and planning. We will give it an extra point.......the more I plan, the bigger Australia seems to get. ARGGG!
Glad you had fun in Canberra. The clock tower is actually a carillion, plays bell music at lunchtime. Looks like you got to see lots of things.
You covered heaps in 36 hours. Missed your calling as a travel writer, girl! See you soon!
Post a Comment