Jan 10, 2010

Back to Work

This week I headed back to my Canadian school and I couldn't be happier.  My exchange partner did a great job with my class and they are a real treat to teach. Even though it's only been one week with them I think it's one of the best classes I've had in my teaching carreer.  My school is also a very wonderful place to work.  It's a very multi ethnic school (I think I have ten language spoken in my class and a different ten than last year's class) with a great staff, and a supportive parent group.  I'm  reunited with my resources too, and so when I'm teaching something I actually have files to go to for ideas.  Planning is the least of my worries these days and it is so nice to be back to all my favourite books.

For my students it is obvious they miss their Australian teacher but I think we are doing okay too as we get to know one another.  In addition, just three days back at it I received a new student.  I think for the 2009-2010 school year between my exchange partner and I we've lost two and gained two students.  My latest student seems like a really great kid, and an excellent fit for our class.

It's been interesting for me to be referred to as the "new" teacher even though it's my classroom with my things in it.  But of course for this set of parents and students I am the "new" teacher.  I will do my very best to show them that while I may be new for them, I do know what I'm doing and I work very hard for their children.

As far as the rest of the school goes it's been great reconnecting with many of my former students and their parents.  I don't get a whole lot done before or after school because I've been spending a lot of time chatting with parents.  It's great though and I wouldn't change it for anything.  My school really is a wonderful place to work, and it's been so nice knowing that I was truly missed.  People are happy to have me back and I'm happy to be back.  It many ways it feels like I never left.

Outside of work I have been getting back into my running and swimming (well sort of).  I have been running consistently with my weekend training friends and after school with a good friend from work.  It's still tough to go from pretty  much non runner to runner again but I know that as long as I keep it up I will become a runner again.

My swim group is still as great as I remember it too.  My swimming isn't as great but I was able to complete most of the work out with minimal complaining.  It too will get better once I'm back swimming consistently.

My tri club has its official opening this Friday and that means the training will officially begin.  Well, maybe not this weekend though because a really good friend of mine is coming to Vancouver to spend the weekend with me.  I also don't have my bikes back yet either (they are still being stored at friends places).

Oh and how can I forget?   Nancy H took me to the Canucks hockey game on Tuesday night (we won 7 -3).  In fact since I've been back in Vancouver the Canucks have gotten a point in every game they have played.  I know when I left town last year they went into a terrible nose dive in the standings.  So it has me wondering if maybe I'm a bit of a good luck charm for them?

Anyhow, week two starts tomorrow with several changes being implemented in my classroom.  There are a lot of changes I want to make but I think I'll let many of them just go for this year.  These children were trained by my exchange teacher and while I do things differently than she does, I can handle most of what she was doing  Obviously what I couldn't handle I've changed.

Just a few more weeks until the Olympics come to my city.  I can't believe it.

Until my next rambling...

No comments: