Feb 19, 2009

A Day Without Water

This morning something happened to a water pipe in the area of my school which resulted in my school having no water.  At first we were told that it would be a couple of hours.  No water means no flushing toilets, no washing hands with soap and water, and no drinking water.  Being a teacher in an elementary school this didn't go over too well with the children.  After a few hours it was decided that the parents of the children should be called to pick up their kids.  A few parents came but most stayed in the water free environment with me.  

Besides calling parents the office also cancelled the scheduled evening family picnic. Originally all the Footscray North Primary families  were invited to pack a meal and meet at the school oval (field) for a school wide family picnic.  It would have been something nice to see, but I am enjoying the "free" evening I've gotten because it was cancelled. 

It's funny how thirsty you become when you can't drink water.   At one point my class and I started to head over to the school across the street (which had water) but we were turned back because it was recess there and they needed their toilets.  The administration was quick on things and we had water for drinking and other emergencies.  But by 1 pm (which is still before our 1:15-2:15 lunch) the water was back on.  

Tomorrow I'm off to South Gippsland, Victoria  (sp?) for the weekend.  I am being picked up by an Internationl Teaching Fellow from Scotland and he's picking me up straight from  work.  I can't ask for better service than that.

No comments: