Today (Sunday Feb 8, 2009) was the St. Kilda Festival. Thankfully my friend Jessica mentioned it to me last night because if she hadn't I would have missed it. But she did, and so I didn't. Instead of me writing about it I decided to just post pictures of some of the things I saw in St. Kilda. For those who don't know about St. Kilda, it's a suburb of Melbourne (like where I live) and it's south of the central business district (CBD) (I'm north of the CBD). It's just a tram ride away from my house. Anyhow, today was their festival and here is a photo look at what I saw. Please note these photos are in no particular order.
Looking down Fitzroy Street. I'm not sure if you can tell but there is a very big crowd down the road.
A street performer (notice the guy on the bicycle on a pole in the air?)
A street salsa lesson. It was fun to watch and had I known one person (I needed a partner) I would have joined in too. This one is for Jane L.
Another bar patio and deck filled with people (there were many).
The sign across the street from the bar above. It was okay to drink in the bar, just not on the street.
Kite surfers. Okay they weren't really part of the festival but they are very much a part of St. Kilda beach.
Volleyball in a jumpy thing. Now this was funny to watch. It's regular volleyball but you are constantly jumping up and down. I wonder how my Bonaccord Staff would do in this situation.
A live band. This was the "main stage" but there were three other stages in the area. They were all showcasing live music of a variety of genres.
Acland Street - famous for its many cake shops.
The amazing drumming kid. He was very very good.
One of the cake shop windows on Acland street. This one is for "D.".
Overall it was a really enjoyable day. The sun was behind clouds most of the day and the temperature was comfortable (unlike yesterdays blast of heat). The pictures don't nearly do it justice but hopefully it gives you a bit of an idea of what my day was like.
2 comments:
All is looking good! Thanks for posting the pics of the festival (great explanations) and for the info on your classes and travel plans. You're a lucky lady and your students and their families are lucky to have you!
Holy cow, that's some carbon footprint you will have in 2009!
And a street full of cake shops! What a weekend!
Post a Comment