Apr 3, 2009

Term One DONE!!

I'd be lying if I said that this first term has been all roses.  To be perfectly honest it hasn't been all that wonderful.  For the first time in my teaching career I actually didn't enjoy going to work.  Many little things went wrong although individually nothing was all that major.  I've adjusted to planning the Australian way and I'm surviving with very few resources.   But I think that even with a couple of attitude adjustments  I got tired of pushing the little things to the side and they started to affect me.  From a professional stand point I'm trying to take in all that I can educationally here in Melbourne.  Like the system I've left behind for the year this one has many positives and negatives.  But I'm observing and learning (and trying my best to keep my mouth shut even though at times it practically kills me) so I can share when I return.  

The plus of this term is the staff members that I've met and clicked with.  People have been very kind to me and I appreciate that a lot.  The friendships will only continue to get stronger.  My class has also jelled nicely and my  more challenging students realize I'm on their side so dealing with their personal issues is a lot easier.  Obviously there are still challenges as there are in any classroom but the ones in my class  keep me challenged in a positive way. How boring the day would be if everyone did the right things all the time.

I look forward to a better term two.  But first things first... look out New Zealand HERE I COME!!!!

1 comment:

D said...

This is experience is just going to make you an even better teacher, if that's possible. You're doing great!

Have a fantastic time in New Zealand!!