Dec 13, 2009

Night Markets, Visits, and a Day on the Mornington Peninsula


This week has been pretty busy but I guess that’s expected with less than two weeks left in this country.
Monday evening the building that I’ve been living in all year held a Christmas gathering in the courtyard.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to go or not because I haven’t met a SOUL where I’ve been living.  But I figured since I was given an invite I would show up.  In the end I’m glad I did.  I met many people in the complex and everyone was very friendly.  Across the courtyard there are three professional young ladies.  It’s really too bad I didn’t meet them earlier in my year.
Tuesday after work I met Samantha in the city for drinks.  Although I haven’t seen her too many times this year every time we get together it’s always a good time.  I know if she lived in Vancouver she would certainly be one of my friends.
Wednesday after work I headed to the Queen Victoria Night Market.  I didn’t know what to expect but I’m really glad I went.  The night market is nothing like the day market in the same venue. It’s a licensed market so as you look at what is for sale you can sip on your sangria, wine, or beer.  There is also a band playing so it has a real party atmosphere.  It actually felt like summer while I was there – just people having a good time hanging out.  The weather was perfect too so that always helps.  There are great food venues too.  I was there for several hours and managed to buy a few locally made things (but as usual they are for me).

Queen Victoria Night Market


Thursday after work I rushed home to get to the post office to post my first (and hopefully only?) box back to Canada.  The weather was awful though – rain and cold.  When I got home I had a message waiting for me from a friend I met on Kangaroo Island.  We met up in the city and headed to St. Kilda for the St. Kilda night market.  The weather went from bad to worse so instead of hanging out at the market we went for dinner. After dinner we took a few photos on the beach but it was still pretty windy and cold.

St. Kilda Beach

Poppy blowing away!

Me, at St. Kilda Beach, freezing and being blown away!

Friday was the retirement dinner for someone I work with.  Between school and the retirement dinner I hung out with one of the teachers at school.  We headed to Williamstown and I was able to see the house that she and her husband are fixing up to live in.  We had a wonderful chat and I got to see Williamstown again.  She then took me on a drive to her new school (it’s a BRAND NEW SCHOOL) before we met up with the rest of our staff at a Thai restaurant in Footscray.  Dinner was good and it was nice to be able to celebrate a retirement.


Just a candid shot of some of the people at the retirement dinner.

Saturday I was up early and on a train heading to Frankston to visit Jessica and her family.  After dropping her husband off at home she, her daughters, and I headed to a sculpture park in the area.  The sculptures were scattered through out the park and it was great to watch how her children interacted with each of them.  

Sculpture Garden

From there we headed back to her place for lunch.  After lunch Jess and I snuck away and headed down the Mornington Peninsula.  Jessica took me as far as Port Sea before we headed to snoop around Sorento.  It was a great little outing.  The sun made an appearance here and there and the colours of the water were beautiful.  Once back at her home and after a quick visit with her Australian cousin, Jessica dropped me off at the train station and I headed back to Melbourne.  I was supposed to make it to a choir performance but I got home later than I had expected and I ended up exhausted on the couch instead.

Portsea


Sorento

Sorento
(the colours in the water were incredible)


A silly shot of Jess and I.
Most of the day we were in long sleeved shirts but
 by about 4 pm the sun came out from the clouds.


Sorento


Blairgowrie

This morning I again had trouble sleeping and I was up far too early.  Thankfully after a couple of hours of being awake I was able to get back to sleep.  Originally I was planning to go Wilson’s Prom today but the weather forecast was for cold and a bit wet and I didn’t want to be outside in that.  I was also suppose to go to Zane and Danielle’s farewell get together but I got going so slowly today that my list of things to get done just kept growing larger.  We have plans to meet up tomorrow night though for a quick something to eat.  I ended up heading down Smith Street, and into the city to pick up a few things.  I haven’t bought much for people while I’ve been here and I’m starting to feel badly.  My bags were full when I arrived and all I do is keep filling them.  The sad thing is I’m not really buying much Aussie stuff since most things seem to be made in China.  The Aussie clothing isn’t my style either  - I see a lot of really short dresses and strappy tops.  I have picked up more than my share of icebreaker wool products and some Aussie boots.  I actually could have bought tons of pairs of boots but boot season is long gone now.  I’ve also bought some Aussie books to bring back to Canada.  In addition I have obviously picked up a few simple souvenirs – like pencils and pens, but beyond that not a whole lot more.
This week I have more dinner and drink engagements along with our staff goodbye function Thursday after work, and our staff luncheon Friday.  I’ll also be furiously cleaning my Aussie home, and continuing to pack my stuff up.  Next Monday I’m flying to Hong Kong.  

No comments: