As I mentioned in my last post my dad is now in Melbourne visiting me. On Saturday, April 18 he and I took a day tour to Phillip Island. The main attraction of the tour is the Penguin Parade just after sunset but since it was a day tour we had many stops before we got there.
The first place we stopped was at a wild life park. I decided to give everything a try. I had a snake wrapped around my neck, I fed an emu, and I fed a wallaby. I also saw a dingo (it looks like a dog/fox), and of course a kangaroo and koala.
Me and the SNAKE
Wallaby
(It looks a lot like a small kangaroo)
Dingo
Emu
Me feeding a wallaby.
From the wildlife park we headed to a winery in the Gippsland region. It was one of the wineries I had already been to but I'm always up for sampling more wine. From the winery we finally headed onto Phillip Island. Our first stop was at Woolamai Beach, a surf beach.
Me and my dad at Woolamai Beach
From there we headed over to the Nobbies. The Nobbies is where you typically see seals and occasionally you can catch a glimps of a penguin. It's also a very beautiful part of the island. While I didn't see any seals I did see a couple of penguins hiding under the board walk and I did catch the beginning of a stunning sunset.
A little penguin hiding under the board walk.
From the Nobbies it was finally time for us to get to the "Penguin Parade". Each night penguins come walking out of the water and make their way back into their homes on the hillside. On the advice of others who had been there we had upgrade tickets so we were able to get real close to the penguins. It was super cool to see them appear on the beach and then waddle their way back to their homes. We saw over 100 penguins come out of the water and all were super cute. We also got to hear them scream and holler at one another. It was an incredible experience. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any photos so the only photo I have from the experience is the one below.
3 comments:
Soooo jealous of all the animal action!!! (though I'm NOT a snake person)
I think it's great that there's no photography allowed of the penguins. Obviously they'd be nice to have, but too disturbing to the little guys and they need to be protected.
And just because... "maybe the Dingo ate your baby!"
D, I totally agree re the pictures. I was using my pretend camera to take pictures for my memory. The penguins acted like we weren't even there even though we were right there looking at them. I found that all a bit strange.
Love your photos!!! The one with your dad is the best ;)
Post a Comment