Apr 12, 2009

I'm Alive and Still in New Zealand

Hi, this will be a quick update (I hope) so that know you know that I'm still alive in New Zealand. Unfortunately you'll have to wait for photos though as I don't have the cable with me to download.

New Zealand

I arrived into Auckland on Sunday evening. Most things were closed for the night so I just walked around taking in what I could. Early Monday morning I was picked up by the "Kiwi Experience" bus and whizzed off to the Bay of Islands and the town of Paihai. WOW, what a beautiful place. Upon arrival I quickly booked a boat tour and got to see many of the islands up close and personal. New Zealand is a lot more like BC than anything I've seen in Australia and I'm loving it. I can't believe how much I miss GREEN GRASS, mountains, and water.

During my second day in the Bay of Islands I did a day tour to Cape Reinga via the 90 mile beach. We made several stops along the way but you'll have to wait for photos to find out about them. What I can tell you is that we were really lucky because typically you can only drive along 90 mile beach in one direction (yes, you actually drive ON the beach right beside the ocean) but because of the tides on the day that I was traveling we were able to drive in BOTH directions. Cape Reinga was also beautiful spot. It was an excellent travel day with the exception of me getting sick on the bus.

On my third day in the Bay of Islands I headed to the town of Russel via boat before heading back to Auckland. I spent Thursday in Auckland exploring downtown and the marina area, the Museum of Auckland where I caught a Maori Cultural Show, and the suburb of Devonport (you get there by boat). I had every intention of going up the Auckland tower to get photos before sunset, during sunset, and of the night sky. I was pretty disappointed when I showed up to find out it was closed for a private function.

Friday morning I boarded a tiny plane (you know the kind a bit wider than a pencil) and headed to Tauranga. Donna and her husband Guy were at the airport waiting for me. It was so nice to see another Canadian. Donna and I (as well as some of her new friends) headed over to Kiwi 360 to learn about Kiwi fruit farming (Kiwi that we know is called Kiwi Fruit here in NZ. Kiwi refers to either the bird or a New Zealander - Kiwi Fruit refers to the fruit.) I've never seen so many Kiwis at one time. It was pretty cool. Donna and I then headed home and picked up Guy. We headed to Mt. Maunganui and walked up as the sun was setting. The views along the route up were incredible and I'm so glad we took the time to hike up. (I have done more up hill walking here in NZ in a week than I have my entire time in Australia).

Saturday morning we packed up the car and headed to Kinloch, a small town near Taupo. Along the way we stopped at a geothermal park which was pretty incredible to see. When we finally arrived in Kinloch I was greeted by Guy's parents who were super friendly. After a bit of visiting we headed to the hot pools in Taupo for some relaxing. We spent a bit of time wondering around Taupo too. Taupo is home of Ironman New Zealand so it was really cool for me to be there. I'd love to do the Ironman there. It reminded me a lot of Penticton.

Sunday we did a 14 km hike up and along a ridge that followed Lake Taupo. The views were breath taking. In the afternoon we went out on the boat to see the Maori carvings, and we attempted a bit of fishing (which weren't interested in being fished).

This morning we packed up and head back to Tauranga. We spent the morning back in Taupo (I was hoping to find SOMETHING with IM NZ on it - no luck) before heading out towards Waitomo. We stopped a few times along the way but again you'll have to wait for photos for details. Once in Waitomo I went into the glow worm caves which was an experience. It was pretty cool to see them but after my tour guide on the day I went to Cape Reinga all I could think about was what he called them. It's not approriate to post here so you'll have to e-mail me directly to hear what he said.

We are now back in Tauranga and Donna is making dinner (and it smells great). Tomorrow Donna and I are off to Routarua. I'm not sure if I'll get another chance to post a blog while I'm here but I will do my best to write one when I get back to Melbourne this coming weekend.

Okay, this is a bit longer than I expected but hopefully it lets you in on what I've been up to. Keep in touch. Photos to come! K

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome! Glad to hear you're having a great fall break and enjoying a little well-deserved R & R. Can't wait to see the pics!

Canuckiwi said...

Kia Ora!!! Love your vacation from your vacation, lucky Miss Karen!!! hee hee