Jun 26, 2009

Term Two DONE!!

Wow, if you can believe it my teaching year is now officially half over here in Australia.  Yesterday marked the end of term two and the beginning of SCHOOL HOLIDAYS!  This week was a longer week as I tried to keep the students calm during the day and I met with their parents during the night (parent teacher interviews).  

Parent teacher interviews are pretty similar here as they are back at home except they take place in the hall (read gym) and each teacher sits at a table that is set up for them. We talk about what has been written on the report cards, they ask questions, and I try to encourage them to do this or that with their child at home to help with  learning. The big difference though is that the parents don't get the report cards in advance.  Typically they arrive about five minutes before the scheduled interview time and pick up the reports then.  Some of the parents I met with hadn't even seen the report card when they came to see me.  I found this part of the system a bit strange.  In addition if you don't come for parent teacher interviews you don't get your child's report card.  There are still two of my student's reports up at the office as two parents never showed up for their interview time.  I'll have to try to schedule appointments with them next term and if that fails I'll just send them home.

On Friday, the last day of term, we had "Canada Day" in our classroom.  The children were encouraged to wear red or white on top of their school uniform.  We learned some more facts about Canada and they did their work using "Canada flag" pencils.  Before I left home I found some great Canada flag packing tape at the local post office.  Each child proudly wore their Canada Flag sticker and while I was on yard duty I gave one to anyone that wanted one, explaining to them that July 1 was Canada Day.  It was great to see so many children running around with Canadian Flag stickers on them.  Hopefully a few of them will even remember that July 1 is Canada Day.

It's Saturday morning now and instead of doing my "weekly" run I'm sitting here typing this blog.  The goal for this weekend is to get my home in good order because my sister Debbie is coming in a couple of weeks. Actually Debbie is meeting me in Palm Cove, Queensland on Tuesday!!  I'll be there on Monday and I am so excited.  The weather has been in the high 20's sunny and WARM!  I can't wait to have a bit of r and r on the beach between trips to Cape Tribulation and the Great Barrier Reef.  From Palm Cove (think Cairns area) we will be flying down to Brisbane then heading straight to Surfer's Paradise. Remember a few weeks back I signed up for a half marathon?  Well it's Sunday July 5th.  I'm far from ready but I don't really care.  After a few days in Surfer's Paradise we head back to Brisbane to catch a flight up to Airlie Beach.  That will be our jumping point for the Whitsunday Islands.  I've only heard amazing things about them so I am so excited to be able to spend some time exploring them.  The weather has also been in the 20's so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a bit of a sun glow.  From there we fly back to Brisbane, then back to Melbourne so I can show Debbie a bit of my little piece of Australia.  

Tomorrow I'm hoping to  meet up with my friend Jessica while she's in Camberwell before heading to the Flemington Race course market.  And of course there will be more cleaning and tidying in anticipation of Debbie's arrival back with me from Queensland. 

When I finally head back to work on July 13th winter will be half over.  Apparently here in Australia winter is the month of June, July, and August.  So far winter hasn't been too bad. We've had a few days of awful rain and wind and cold temperatures but for the most part the days have been pretty nice.  What I don't like about winter are the short days because I do a lot of my riding in the dark.  In addition the temperatures drop to five or below at night so it's pretty chilly too.  I'm not complaining though as I'm having a great adventure here.

Stay tuned for more updates.  I'm pretty certain I'll have some great photos from my Queensland adventures.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you as you start your holiday. I am very happy to be starting mine. It was finally hot here this week. School was hot, but kinds enjoyed the heat and the excitment of being done. Have great holiday, I look forward to talking soon. Take care and have fun. Erin

Julian13 said...

Looks like you are going to have a great time in your break even before Debbie arrives. Good luck with the half marathon.