On Tuesday after the long weekend school was back in full swing although still over 25% of my class was missing. We were suppose to have Mini Athletics (which to me seems a little bit like a sports day for just the primary children done over two hours during class time) but the weather was awful and so it was cancelled. The rest of the week chugged along uneventfully too except on Thursday. One of my very sweet students from Indonesia moved back and her last day was Thursday. (We had a curriculum day on Friday so there was no school for students then). Several of my students are in Australia because their parents are on student visas. A's family was one of them and after about three years they must return to their home country.
Friday's curriculum day focussed on classroom libraries and independent reading. Those two both seem like really important aspects of the literacy program here in the Western Region. I think with so many changes in philosophy over the years some really good stuff was thrown out and now it's being re added. (Yes, if you can believe it there were virtually NO books in my classroom for the kids to access besides their home reading books and their guided reading books). It's interesting for me to go through these changes with this staff. The higher powers in the school district (school board?) are quite direct with what they want in their classrooms and the teachers really don't have much say. A few people from the "higher powers" have come through our school to make sure we are doing what they want us to do. I find all that quite different from what I'm used to in Canada but I'll leave that discussion for my staff back home.
During our curriculum day I met our soon to be THIRD principal this year. Our first acting principal left after term one for a more permanent position at another school. Our second acting principal is my assistant principal filling in the role of principal until a "real" principal can be hired. So, while I've only been here for six months I will soon be working for a third principal.
Oh, and how could I forget. When I got home from work on Wednesday I actually had GOOD NEWS in my mail box. First off I received my second of four water bills for the year. In Melbourne you receive a water bill every three months. I was a bit worried about how much this one was going to be but to my surprise it was a lot less than I had expected. That was surprise number one. My second surprise was that the hospital in Melbourne actually sent me a cheque because I had over paid them for my procedure. Talk about putting a smile on my face when I saw the cheque. Obviously I'll let me insurance company at home know, especially since the claim hasn't gone in yet (I've been waiting for the anaesthetisologist bill before I submitted all my paper work - which arrived to day) . The third good news was a card from the post office telling me I had a parcel to pick up. I wasn't able to get to the post office until Friday but when I did I had a surprise parcel from my friend Deni. Way back in February she sent me peanut butter cups from Trader Joes. I love those. Unfortunately for what ever reason they took over four months to get to Canada and when I finally got them they looked like they had had a better day. I don't really care though, the smile they put on my face was huge. I still haven't heard back from Deni but if any of you know her give her the biggest hug you can from me. It was a super awesome treat to get such a care package from back home. It once again reminded me how great my friends are, and how much I really really miss everyone.
On Saturday I was up and after a lot of procrastination I headed out for my run along the Capital City trail. This time I figure I went about 15 km meandering along the river. I ran into a nice gentleman at one point and he told me about a half marathon that is the week before my half marathon on the Gold Coast but right here in Melbourne. I looked into it and while I'd be game to do a local half marathon as training for my "real" half marathon on July 5 the course was two loops and it didn't include a shirt. At home I could care less about race shirts but here I really want them to be able to take them back to Canada with me.
My run ended near Chapel Street which is apparently a good shopping street here in Melbourne. Although I was all sweaty I wasn't disappointed in what I saw. I just wondered a bit and ended up at the Parahan Market. I've been told that it's a pricey market but I found some great deals there. In the deli section I was able to buy four items for ten dollars. In the end I bought eight different items for twenty dollars and they threw in a loaf of bread. I had three different dips, a couple of cheeses, some crackers, some olives, and some meat. It made for a great appie evening.
Prahan Market
(or a small glimps of the market)
On Saturday night Zane and Danielle (two teachers on exchange from Alberta) came over for pre dinner drinks and appies. It was the beginning of a great evening. We then made our way onto Brunswick street for a nice Greek meal, followed by a beverage in a local pub. It was really nice to be out on a Saturday night having fun.
On Sunday morning I got up and after some great french toast if I say so myself ( ;-) ) I packed a bag a headed to Smith Street. Smith Street is the outlet part of town, and it's a short walk from my place. I went with a mission to find the Ice Breaker store. If you haven't heard of IceBreaker it's a very ethical company that makes excellent merino wool products. It's a New Zealand company but it's available all around the world. It isn't cheap stuff but it's very high quality stuff. Anyhow I was on the hunt for another pair of merino wool socks from them. Well, even though I went specifically for one pair of socks, I left with a brand new jacket, two pairs of wool socks, and a wool tank top. Each piece was purchased at a great price and they will all last for a very long time both here and in Canada.
While on Smith Street my phone rang and it was Julie from my work. She had invited me to her place for tea (which is dinner or sometimes called evening tea) with her family. Before dinner her and her husband were taking their daughter to the Melbourne Gaol and wanted to know if I wanted to come along. Since I had already done enough damage on Smith Street I was happy to join them. They picked me up right on Smith street and then together we headed to the gaol.
The lady that sold us our tickets thought it might be better to take a later tour because the next tour guide was quite mean. Julie's daughter assured us that she'd be okay. Once the tour started we were all a bit scared. The guide (in role as a police officer treating us as if we were being arrested) was right into character. She was insulting people, making us stand a certain way, and was really mean. It was a bit scary actually, but not in a really "I'm frightened" sort of way. No one wanted to be yelled at. Julie's daughter was a bit scared at first but then she realized that the lady was just an actress and was actually a really nice person. Once she figured that out it was much better for all of us.
This is Julie and her husband and daughter inside the "gym" area of the gaol.
Me behind a locked gate.
Me, Julie, and Ella inside the Padded Cell
(Notice my new IceBreaker Jacket)
Me in Ned Kelly's armour.
From the Gaol we made our way onto Lygon Street for a treat at Koko Black. I think I've mentioned before that beside being a great place for coffee (espresso type coffee drinks) Melbourne is also a great place for chocolate. I was not disappointed with my Iced Chocolate.
From Lygon Street we jumped back into the car and made our way to Julie's house. If you don't already know Julie has been a real sweet heart to me while I've been here in Melbourne. She's also new at my school and she's been a real good ear for me, particularly when I was so stressed in the first term. Julie has done so many nice things for me that I don't think I'll ever really be able to thank her enough. Last night was no exception. She invited me back to her house and I joined her and her family for a wonderful stew dinner.
Because Julie lives about 45 min away by tram I spent the night and went to work with her this morning. Not only did she feed me last night, but she also provided me with lunch today at school and left overs for dinner this evening. Julie also has many more places she wants to show me around Melbourne so that I get the true Melbourne experience.
Only two more weeks until I'm on term two school holidays. I'm also just about at the halfway point in my year hear (June 23 marks six months since I left home) . Next week my reports go to the parents as they come for parent interviews. What I find quite different here is that the parents don't get their children's report cards until minutes before their interview with me. If you don't make an interview I'm not sure when you get your report card. I guess I'll find out next week.
For those of you teaching in the North Hemisphere I am totally envious of your big summer vacation. While I am off for two weeks starting June 27th, I'm right back to work July 13th. I think those next weeks of work during Melbourne winter without a paycheck from Canada may be the toughest I have to go through while I'm here. But if Sharon survived weeks of snow, I should be okay too. Plus I do have a few trips up my sleeve and one for certain will be getting me to somewhere WARM and SUNNY even in August!
1 comment:
Karen thinks I have been a real gem but if you really want to know the truth she has also been a great ear for me too. I've 'chewed' her ear many times over the year.
It's been a pleasure sharing the real Melbourne with Karen it gets me out and about visiting all the places I haven't for so long. If you come and visit Karen, she will have some great places to share with you.
I love cooking for Karen just because she loves food and always makes me feel like I'm the best cook in Melbourne!!
Post a Comment