Jun 8, 2009

Working Without Students

I'm not sure how I forgot to write about my week without students.  On Monday my school was closed to students because a second case of swine flu was discovered.  What is interesting is that swine flu is no longer in the news in North America but it's spreading widely here in Victoria.  I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that it's winter here now and the start of flu season.  Some states are making children that are returning from North American  or even the state of  Victoria stay away from school and daycare for one week to ensure that they do not have swine flu. Anyhow my school was the last school to be  closed as the cases of swine flu continue to grow to the point that closing schools isn't helping much.

Anyhow back to my week.  So, Tuesday I show up to work. Thinking it would be a day to edit and finish my report cards I was feeling pretty good.  In the end we had meetings for almost three hours.  I did managed to edit my colleagues reports but I didn't get mine officially finished.  Wednesday I was determined to get my report finished between our meetings.  I had several interruptions during the day but I was determined.  I stayed until a bit before I was kicked out of school and finished my reports.  It felt so good to have them DONE!  Thursday I was at an all day workshop about the Reading Recovery Observation Survey.  It was pretty dry but hopefully after the second part of the workshop I will feel like I've gained some valuable information that I can take back with me to Canada.  While we were at the workshop (I went with three other teachers) the rest of the staff had a meeting free day back at school.  On Friday our school reopened to students.  No one really knew how many would turn up since it was the Friday before a long weekend and the kids had been off since Tuesday.  As it turned about 1/3 of the school population showed up.  I started the day with four students and with in twenty minutes I had  seven.  They ended up combining classes and giving them to the CRTs (think TOC or substitute teacher) and I was given time to plan, mark, and assess.  I used my time to asses my students that were at school.  It was part of my homework from the workshop I attended the day before.  I also did some planning but it was finally easy since I had the entire week already planned but didn't get the chance to use it.  I was out of work shortly after the bell on Friday and it was a WONDERFUL feeling.  The first time since I've been here. I need to do that more often.

This week is a short week.  Today was a day off for the Queen's Birthday.  Tomorrow we have mini athletics for two hours and on Friday we have a curriculum day.  I've already been given some readings that I have to do before Friday (which I read on the plane).  Hopefully it will be a quick week.  In three weeks it's our winter school holidays and I'm meeting up with my sister in Palm Cove outside of Cairns where it should be nice and warm.  I can't wait!

No comments: