Jun 1, 2009

Report Writing, The Capital City Bike/Run Trail, and more Swine Flu


This past weekend was set aside for report writing so I had no great plans.  I woke up early on Saturday with hopes of getting a good start on my report cards.  It was funny though I turned on my Skype around 8 am my time and I think I didn't get off of it until after 2 pm.  It was so nice to touch base with so many of my friends back at home.   Darcy from my swim group arranged for Skype to be at our wind up party (my masters swim group end at the end of May) and so I got to talk to several of the people I swim with back home.  It was an excellent way to spend a morning (and afternoon).  Eventually I got to the task at hand. I worked for a while and then of course I was distracted by other things.  I was suppose to go out for dinner with another exchange teacher but she was too into her report cards and  wasn't feeling too well.  At some point on Saturday evening I decided it was important for me to sign up for  the Gold Coast Half  Marathon despite the fact that I haven't run much at all since I've been here in Australia.  I have no lofty time goals at all I'm just trying to make myself accountable to my running and hopefully I can become a runner again.

Having signed up for a half marathon on Saturday night I felt it was important that I go for a run.  Sunday morning I woke up and put on my running clothing.  Last weekend before my first bike crash I was looking for the continuation of the Capital City Trail.  It's the trail that is just a short block from my Melbourne home and loops all around the city.  I've found it heading west but I can't seem to find it heading east because there is a section that is closed due to construction. So with running clothing on I was determined to find it.

I DID IT!!  For what ever reason when ever I hit the construction I didn't take the time to read the sign.  This time I actually read the sign, followed the detour, and found the rest of the trail.  I'm so glad I did.  The Capital City Trail follows along a river and then leads to another river.  It's a beautiful trail with many sights to distract me with.  Along my adventure I was surprised to see a car on my running path.  I know this isn't a normal place for a car it was just so strange to see that I had to take a picture.


The trail wasn't that well marked because from time to time another path would join or the original path would split in two.  Sometimes there were signs helping me make the right choice, other times there weren't.  Below is the sign I was constantly looking for to confirm that I was heading the right way.


As I mentioned above it was a beautiful trail with so many things to distract me as I plodded along.  I ran passed a small waterfall called Dight's Falls near Yarra Bend Park, Collingwood Children's Farm, and the Abbotsford Convent.  Once a month there is a farmer's market at the children's farm and once a month there is one at the convent.   Now I know I can easily get to both.


Dight's Falls

Collingwood Children's Farm 
(I'm at the fence beside the farm I didn't actually go in)

Abbotsford Convent (behind the sheep)

Overall it was a great run.  I ran about 10.5 kms in one direction only.  Once I figured I'd run enough I made my way off the trail and headed towards Brunswick street for brunch.  It was a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

This week will be an interesting one.  A second case of swine flu was diagnosed at my school and so all the children must stay home from school until Friday morning.  Unfortunately swine flu doesn't seem to really affect adults so the staff must come to work (or that's what our school board has told us).  It will be a nice break to come to work and not have to teach any children.  I'm sure we'll all get a lot done but I have been told that the meetings will go on as usual.  Thankfully I think we'll be able to hold them during school hours so I should be able to get out at a reasonable time.

On the health front I'm still waiting for my appointment with the Gastrointerologist.  My condition hasn't changed much I now just know why what's happening to me is happening.

Oh yah today, the day after my looong 10 km run (yes that's a long run for me these days), my legs are SORE!  It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 weeks.

2 comments:

R said...

Glad to hear you found the trail and had a good hard run as you prep for the upcoming race. A good story after some not-so-nice ones! From the little I know of you, you know how to keep your chin up, and I pray you continue to do so!

Canuckiwi said...

Good for you for running! You'll be ready for the half in no time!