Friday I snuck out early from work and met with my new Australian Gastrointerologist. She told me a little bit more about my Colitis, sent me for blood work, and prescribed some medication to help settle my insides. I may be able to get this last bit of blood work and specialist appointment covered with one of my medical insurance policies but even that isn't a given. Since I'm no longer dealing with a medical emergency and instead I'm dealing with a chronic illness I'm more or less out of luck as far as my insurance is concerned. But it's my health so I don't have all that much choice. The sad thing is that the medication is super expensive here. I had my dad check on its cost back in Canada and it's about 1/5 the price. So instead of me paying hwy robbery prices for medication I'm working on getting the prescription filled in Canada and sent to me here. I hope it works.
On Saturday I was up early but stayed in my pjs until around eleven and it was WONDERFUL. I finally caught up with Erica and it was great to hear about her wedding. I then headed (via two buses) to Bridge Road which is another shopping area in Melbourne (I was looking for a make me feel better item). I didn't find anything but I did enjoy exploring another part of the city. I then made my way into the CBD and wondered around roads and alleyways I hadn't been through before. I stopped and had a very late lunch at Pelligerino (sp?) which is a very old Melbourne establishment that is ALWAYS busy. I had a great Italian meal. I then walked a bit more and ended up on Lygon Street snooping around. From there I headed home several hours after I had started my adventure in the morning.
On Sunday I was up early again and headed to the Lululemon in Camberwell for their free Sunday morning yoga. Jessica (my friend from Canada that married an Aussi and is now raising her family in Melbourne) and Madeline (another Canadian teacher on exchange) have been going regularly and since I was in town I had no excuse not to go. It was actually a good class and I'm feeling some muscles that I've let go to mush since I've been here. I'll have to try to get back. After class Jess and her family had to go but Madeline and I walked for a bit. I then caught a trained into the city. It has been a while since I've been at the Queen Victoria market so I walked from Flinder's Street Station there. I snooped around the market for a bit and then walked from there up Victoria Street to Brunswick street. I then snooped around there. From Brunswick Street I walked over to Smith Street and went into the IceBreaker store AGAIN! I think I have an addiction to that place and to no ones surprise I bought a Merino Wool sweater (remember I've been looking for a make me feel better gift for me). Anyhow I made my way home and spent the evening dealing with school items.
This morning I spent the day at Wembly Primary watching a teaching expert in action. It was a fantastic day and I got a ton of good resources out of the day that I can and WILL bring back to share with my school in Canada. It also made me realize how short of a stick I've gotten on this exchange. Professionally this could be such an amazing year for me (as it has been for many others on exchange) but while there have been some good moments there have been far more disappointments. But it is what it is so I'll try to continue to find the good that's around me.
No comments:
Post a Comment