Jul 19, 2009

My Sister's Visit and Wodonga/Albury ITF Weekend


On Monday I headed back to work for my third term.  I also met my new principal.  This one has a contract for a few years so I think this is the last new principal I'll be getting this adventure. She has a lot of plans for the school and I think there will be a lot of changes coming down the pipes.  It will be interesting to watch.  

On Tuesday Julie from work took Debbie and I to this great pizza place in St. Kilda.  We had a nice evening with her family and Debbie got to know her a little bit too.  

Debbie and I plus Julie's daughter Ella

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful.  My new principal no longer wants us to have our team meetings after school on Thursdays so one of my planning hours had been designated as team meeting time and the entire schools time table has been changed so that everyone can meet with their grade groups.  If this really means that I'll have one less after school meeting to attend I'll be happy.  Only time will tell though.

On Friday Debbie showed up on my school.  My students were so cute.  They waited by the fence hoping to get a glimps at her.  When she finally came around the corner they were so excited.  I think it was a bit over whelming for Debbie though since being in a school is the LAST place she wants to be after her difficult class this year and it being her SUMMER VACATION.  She survived though and once our Friday afternoon assembly was over we headed across the city to meet Monica and Ake.  

This past weekend was an ITF weekend in Wodonga/Albury.  Monica and Ake  drove Debbie and I along with one other couple.  It took a few hours to get there but once we arrived at our host family we were immediately taken in and welcomed with open arms.  That's what is so great about these exchange weekends.  Debbie and I  stayed with Susanne and Bill in Wodongo.  In the morning we met their two girls - Henrietta, and Harriet.  

Henrietta and Harriet

Henrietta (I think?)

After breakfast we met up with the other exchange teachers.  For this exchange weekend only five of us attended (with are respective family members so there were ten of us in total).  It was a bit sad actually because none of the families with children came.  But I know most had busy school holidays and I can only assume they just needed a calm weekend at home.

Anyhow the ten of us ended up breaking up into two groups.  Debbie, Zane, Danielle, and I headed to the Rutherglen Wine Region to do what we do best - WINE TASTE! The others went towards Beechworth (which I had visited several months back) and other sights in the area.

As usual the area was beautiful and the wine was tasty.  This area is known for its fortified wine which I can attest tasted very nice.  With Zane's great driving skills we managed to wine taste at six different wineries and I've come home with four more bottles of wine. Below are a few photos from the area.


Anderson's Winery (I think?)

Rutherglen Estates

All Saint's Winery

Saturday night we were treated to a lovely dinner hosted by the Albury/Wodonga Exchange Teacher's organization.  It was a nice meal and it was nice to chat with Aussie that had been on exchange or were heading on an exchange in 2010. Below is a picture of the group of us.  You'll notice my sister is doing a very good job of NOT being seen - she's behind me and slightly to the left.

This morning we went to Wodonga Primary to check out the school.  It's under construction but I was impressed with the feel of the school.  I know that some of the people that I work with at home would be blown away by how many guided reading books they have.  

After the school tour (about 12 noon) we headed back to Melbourne.  It was a beautiful sunny day and it was actually WARM.  Along the way back we stopped for a bite to eat.  I had to take a couple of pictures of the potato chips because they have some very unique flavours here.  


On the way back to Melbourne instead of going back to the train station near where Monica and Ake live they dropped Debbie and I off at a station a bit closer to my Melbourne home.  As they pulled up I read that the train was arriving in one minute.  As quick as possible Debbie and I ran to catch the train and we DID!  That was a great treat because it meant we didn't have to wait another 20-30 min for the next train.  When we got to our station our bus was coming.  He too stopped for us so in the ended we were back at my place with in 30 min of being dropped off.  What a treat!!

This evening I'm set to watch the finale of Master Chief Australia*.  You'll have to google it to find out a bit more about it but let's just say the last couple of weeks I've watched it when ever I've been home when it's on.  I actually even saw one of the judges on my flight home from Brisbane to Melbourne last week. And to think he already knew who had won.  My favourite is Julie but I'm be okay with Poy winning too.  I know that Julie will get a cookbook offer no matter what happens - who knows maybe you'll see it in a store near you one day soon.  

Anyhow, that's the weeks update.  I don't have much on the agenda for this coming weekend and that may not be a bad thing.  Soon enough I'll be away for five weekends in a row.

Have a great week.

*I watched the show last night and JULIE WON!!!  I couldn't be happier.  I hope her cookbook comes out before I leave Aus because I would love to own a copy.

No comments: