Jan 5, 2009

Bangkok Day Three

As I sit here in an internet cafe filled with teenagers yelling and screaming at one another while playing on line games I'll do my best to write this post.

Today was the day for temples, buddahs, and fancy hotels. I started my morning with a boat ride down to the Grand Castle, Wat Phra Kaew (the temple of the emerald buddah) and Wat Pho (large reclining Buddah). Each was fascinating on its own and together I think I've had temple overload. I took a ton of pictures but non can really do what I saw justice. The details in design, the colours, and the gold. It was all incredible to see.

From there I walked around a bit more and headed further down the river to the two amazing hotels. I ended up getting off the boat a couple of stops early so I could get to the post office to mail back two guide books I've borrowed. I once again surprised myself by actually getting to the post office, purchasing an envelope, and mailing the parcel. Now I just hope it arrives back in Canada.

Once I left the post office I headed to the Shangra La hotel. It was another sight to be seen and if I had some spare cash I'd love to have stayed there. I then kept walking looking to find the Orient Hotel until I realize I had gone way too far. So I back tracked and found it. It too was an incredible hotel.

From there I headed back to the hotel. I've had a low key night this evening as I'm really exhausted. It was hot and sunny today and I didn't sleep too well last night. Hopefully I'll sleep better tomorrow.

As for tomorrow I have a couple more places to visit before I leave Bangkok mid afternoon. I'm off to Chaing Mai which is in Northern Thailand. I've only heard good things about it so I'm excited to get there. I may do some side trips from there, we'll see.

As for my take on Bangkok I have mixed feelings.

I like the kindness of the people, the food, the great smells, the easy access to places, the interesting culture, the ability to buy anything you want and always at a special price, the pink taxis and buses, the tv's on the skytrain, and the diversity. But I don't like the serious serious noise pollution, the air pollution (including smells that trigger my gag reflex), the sensory overload (sounds every where, colours, people), the crowdedness (as a claustrophobic it has been really tough at times), the smokers, and the general overwhelming nature.

I look forward to heading north tomorrow before being reunited with my laptop on the 9th. I hope she' s still safe.

Karen

P.S. If you want a postcard you need to e-mail me your address as I don't have any with me.

P.P.S.  Just wondering if this link gets you to my Bangkok photos stored on Flickr.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about your adventures.
I can't wait to see some pictures.
Erin Reid