I woke up this morning after a some what restless sleep. I had a lot on the agenda.
After breakfast I walked to the closest boat pier - Tewes Pier. I walked through a local's market (you know the kind where the fish they are selling are still swimming in buckets), and down some pretty smelly streets. My plan was, since it's the weekend, I was told that I should head to the Chatuchak Weekend Market. It's on the skytrain route but I'm not on the skytrain route. So, I took the opportunity to ride one of the local boats in the opposite direction but in a direction that would eventually lead me to a skytrain connection. It was probably a silly thing to do but as a tourist I really wanted to ride one of the local boats and I had the time.
The boat ride was about 30 min and stopped at a variety of piers along the way. It was an excellent way to start my morning as it provided me with views of Bangkok from the water. Once I hit the "central" pier I got off the boat and purchased a one day skytrain ticke. I made my way to the Chatuchak Market. It as billed as either the largest outdoor market in Thailand, or the largest outdoor in Asia. Not exactly sure which one as I type this but trust me it was HUGE! You name it they sold it. Clothing, shoes, furniture, food, pets and pretty much anything else you could imagine. It made yesterday's Patpong night market miniscule in comparision. I took a couple of photos but nothing will do it justice. In the middle of the market there is a shrine, so while bargin hunting the Buddists can stop and pray. I kid you not!
After walking through the market for a few hours (and I know I missed a ton of it) and with only one small purchase and some food I headed back to the skytrain. My next destination was Jim Thompson's house. Jim Thompson was an American who moved to Thailand after the second world war. He revived the silk industry in Thailand which is why it's alive and well today. He created an incredible house with antiques from several places in Asia. But in 1967 while on vacation in Malyasia he disappeared and has never been seen since (okay and if he were still alive today he'd be 102).
I toured through the house with my manditory guide and group. I was fascinated by some of the things she told us about him, his house, and some thai traditions. I didn't realize how superstitious Thai people are (I need to read more on Buddism). I learned one of the reasons why Thai people take their shoes offer before going into their homes. I learned that Thai's typically eat their food on the floor in round circles. I learned several things I didn't know before. I'm glad I went.
From there I walked to the MBK Centre - aka a Bangkok Shopping Mall. I had no intention on actually shopping (remember the overloaded already suitcase) but I wanted to see what people were talking about. The shops seemed to go on for every. It was a six or seven story mall. It made metrotown seem tiny. Once again I was feeling over whelmed.
I spent some time wondering and then stopped for something to eat (again - I seem to eat a lot here). From there I headed a back onto the skytrain and made my way to the HSBC. There is only one in all of Thailand and it's in Bangkok. To my surprise I actually found it, and reloaded my wallet.
From there I was in the area of the Patpong Night market again so I watched them set up. I hung out for a little while, contemplated another foot massage, but decided to head home. It was already a very long day.
To top of the day I decided I'd try out a third mode of transportation. I took at Tuk Tuk (they look like little carts on motorcylces) back to my guest house.
It was a great day for me and I'm excited about tomorrow. Tomorrow I hit the Grand Palace, and a few of the local temples. I may sneak my way into Chinatown as well.
In my next post I hope to write about my observations of Bangkok. It's a very interesting city. Let's just say it's a sight, sound, and smell overload.
Jan 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for my little taste of Bangkok!!!.....sounds like you are getting around without too many hitches, and enjoying your tour. We have had our first rain here after days and days of cold and snow!! It's back to 'you know where' tomorrow :-( N.
Hey girlfriend, I finally made my way to your blog so I'm caught up on all your adventures thus far - very interesting!! Scotland was great, v. busy, it didn't really feel like Christmas, but we enjoyed meeting up with the rellies. Tons of snow here unlike the UK where it was downright balmy. Safe travels my friend!
Post a Comment