Jan 13, 2009

Australia Bound...



As I sit here at the Hong Kong airport I can't believe how quickly my three week holiday has gone by.  Re reading my blog and looking back at my pictures I know it's been action packed.  I've added ten stamps to my passport and I know another is going to come when I land in Australia

My days in Hong Kong were busy.  On my first full day I didn't not do exactly 
as planned.  I did make the trek to the cable car and Buddha.  The long train ride was all worth while when I got to ride the cable car and see some amazing views.  


At the top there was a small village, a huge Buddha, a Monastery, and many walks and hikes.  I took the "Wisdom" path so I'm pretty certain I'm much smarter now.


I was up on mountain top village for longer than expected so I changed my afternoon plans.  In the afternoon I headed to see the "Ladies Market".  It wasn't much different than Temple Street market but it was interesting.  The streets around the market were packed with people.  I felt like I was in a subway station at rush hour except I wasn't.  

From there I did a few more things but made it back to the waterfront for the eight pm Symphony of Lights (see photo at the top).  The buildings in the harbour turn on and off their lights to music.  The lights change colours.  It's pretty amazing to watch and they do it every night at 8 pm!  I caught it a few times in fact.

On my second full day I took the morning to head to Macau.  It's an hour boat ride from Hong Kong so I figured why not.  Macau was very interesting and I'm glad I went.  It's also very hilly.  I walked tons and managed to get myself stuck on a high road while trying to get to the ferry terminal.  I was on a road without a sidewalk and the motor bikes kept whizing by.  Eventually after walking for far too long I hailed a cab and was safely delivered to the ferry terminal.  After a quick change back at my hotel I headed to the Peak.  It's a tram you take up to Victoria Peak where you have views of both Kowloon and Hong Kong Island.  I decided to go before sunset so that I could get day time shots, dusk shorts, and night shots.  It was well worth it too.  I met some nice Japanese men and they offered to use my camera and their tripod to take picture for me.  I couldn't complain.  A Korean gentleman offered to use his camera and my memory card to get more pictures for me.  Needless to say I have some great pictures. 

( If you're a facebook friend I've posted some them there.  I am trying to figure out how to link pictures to here via one of the on line albums - Picasso of Flickr.  When I figure it out or if some one wants to e-mail directions I'll do that instead).

Today was my last day in Hong Kong.  I spent the morning in my hotel room since once I checked out I was going to be homeless.  I have no room for shopping so I didn't want to wander the markets.  Around noon I headed out for my adventure of the day - all by public bus.  First I headed to Aberdeen.  It's a fishing village on Hong Kong Island.  It was quite cute.  I walked around a bit, took some pictures and headed for lunch.  I shared a table with this older lady.  She would not look at me. It was quite funny actually.  The young ladies beside me were deep in conversation but one of them would speak in english while the rest talked in chinese.  It was hilarious to understand one side of a four way conversation.  

Once lunch was done I boarded a bus of Repulse Day.  I don't know why they call it that as it's a beautiful beach by the water.  After a few shots were taken at Repulse Bay (it was 18 C there) I jumped on a third bus for Stanley Market.  The market was small, but nice.  I ended up buying a black silk chinese dress.  From there I headed back to the hotel where I stored my luggage.  I walked around a bit more on the water front and headed to the airport.  Right now I'm sitting waiting for my plane.

I'm really glad I've spent these last few weeks traveling around Thailand and visiting Hong Kong.  It has reconfirmed that I'm doing the right thing.  I'm excited about getting to Australia as I know I have many more adventures waiting for me there.  I can't believe I will be in Australia tomorrow afternoon!

Anyhow I need to get to my gate and apparently it's a 20 minute walk.  Next post will come from the land down under.


2 comments:

Sarah Marchildon said...

Karen, you're blogging! Awesome, awesome. I'm totally going to bookmark this and read it often :)

Tracey Randall said...

Karen, I have enjoyed traveling with you to such a sacred place. Thanks for your blogs.
WOW - 10 passport stamps, that's amazing!
I can't wait to follow your adventures down under.
Funny I'm in B.C. and you are in OZ... T.