I picked up my new bike less than 48 hours after being in Melbourne. It's a black lower level road bike called a Merida. I've never heard of the brand but the price was right, and being black it would match my pink cycling jerseys. Any one who knows me in the riding realm will know that if I can't be fast at least I can look good. It should be good for commuting but also good for a triathlon or two if I choose to go that way while I'm here.
I took my bike for a test ride to see if I could find my way to school. I didn't have a lot of time but I figured I'd give it a try anyhow. I'm so glad I did. I couldn't believe how amazing the bike path network is (photo above). One block from my home there is a car free bike path that will take me pretty much to my school 10 kms away. It will lead me all over the city and probably into many of the outer suburbs too - all more or less CAR FREE! It's an incredible place to be a cycle commuter. It was a ton of fun to be riding. I never did find my school though because I had time against me. Looking at the map I know I was close though so once my company is gone, or I have a chance to sneak away on them I'm going to give it another go. I'm pretty certain I should be able to get to work in under 30 min, and if I can my goal will be to see how much time I can cut off my commute.
Now the reason why I didn't have a lot of time is because my first Canadian visitors were arriving from Vancouver. Kay and Rory arrived just at the end of my bike ride. They are here until Wednesday and we are going to the Australian Open tomorrow. It's been really nice having Canadian visitors here and people to talk to. It's also given me people to sight see with.
Melbourne is a truly beautiful city with so much to see and do. It has great food and I'm too scared to start but I know it has great shopping. It doesn't hurt that it's summer although the weather hasn't been as warm as it could be and it's a lot windier than I realized. I also didn't know that the weather changes frequently so one minute I'll be putting on my long sleeved t-shirt, the next I'll be taking it off. In that sense it reminds me of Calgary - you need everything because you just don't know what you're going to get.
The sights have been incredible and so easy to get to via tram or foot. Melbourne takes good care of their tourists by providing a free tram ride and a free tourist bus. We've taken advantage of both services being offered. We've visited St. Kilda Beach, Victoria Market, the City, Shrine of Remembrance, and the Royal Botanical Gardens (photo above).
This picture above is taken from the look out at the Shrine of Remembrance. It was very cool as there was a ceremony going on while we were there to remember some of the soldiers that fought for Australia in the wars. The view was also incredible.
I'm glad I'm here and I can't wait to see as much as I possibly can. I still have to take in some of the culture as there are tons of great theatres, museums, and performances to see. There is also a lot of sport here. As I mentioned above tomorrow I'm taking in the first day of the Australian Open. I hope those of you that have said that you're going to visit really do come as Melbourne is a beautiful place with so much to see and do.
2 comments:
Great photos. I can hardly wait!! Glad the cycling is working out so well for you.
Oh take me back to Melbourne!!! Great photos, Karen. thinking about you.
Post a Comment