I arrived in Bangkok at about 10:30 am on Jan 3rd. It was my first real adventure without Brenda. While in Krabi, I made and confirmed reservations so I knew I had a place to stay. The taxi ride was uneventful. Because I was early (I got to the airport in Samui so early that I was put on an early flight) my room wasn't ready and so I sat in the restaurant. The restaurant was filled with other travellers and I immediately felt out of place. I didn't look like a hippy, I didn't have a tatoo, and my clothing wasn't super baggy. But no worry.
Once settled in my room I decided to go for a walk to get an idea of where I was in Bangkok. While I have guide books with maps I really had no idea where I was going. I walked and walked what felt like kms and never really could grasp of where I was. So, I retraced my steps and returned to my guest house to purchase a map. But even with the map in my hand I still had no idea where I was. Because the street names are Thai, they are translated in English with a variety of different spellings. So, the words on my map didn't match the street signs that I was seeing. Anyhow, after a short chat with the ladies from the guest house I was on my way again.
The first place I made it to was the "infamous" Koh San Roi (sp?). I can't say I was overly impressed but I guess I didn't expect much as it's the original backpackers hangout place. There certainly weren't many Thai people there. But there were people adding extentions to your hair, selling you t-shirts you didn't want or need, and cooking up all types of foods from tiny street carts.
From Koh San Roi I continued my walk towards the grand palace. It was already after 3:30 so I didn't go in. I'll be visiting there tomorrow. It looks very impressive and I'm sure there will be many pictures taken when I finally get inside the gates.
In the evening I went to Patpong Market off of Silom street. It's pretty funny actually. There are three main rows of stalls selling designer knock offs. On the outsides of the stalls there are "girlie bars" with ladies pole dancing in their bikinis. I know there were other things going on too but I never went in to check it out.
I walked around the area checking out all the wares that were for sale. As I was looking at things a small but real elephant walked passed me. YES, you read correctly, an ELEPHANT walked passed. Everyone is out to make some money and this man was walking an elephant on a major road offering to take your picture - for a fee of course. (As a side a forget to mention that I had a monkey in my lap in Samui and again a man wanted me to pay to have my picture taken with it - which I didn't so there is no proof except Brenda saw!)
Now by this time in the evening (it was around 9:30 pm) my feet were super tired. So, in Thai fashion I had a foot massage. My feet loved me for it (as did the rest of me) and it cost about $10 for 60 min.
I made my way back home via taxi (after a couple of drivers that tried to rip me off - which I didn't fall for). I went for a short night walk in the area but in one spot I spotted huge rats, so I quickly returned home.
Over all while initially completely over whelmed the day was pretty eventful.
Jan 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment