Jan 23, 2009

My Bike Commute


Today I rode my bike to work again, but this time I found a shorter route.  It was a much more pleasant experience as I'm sure I took at least 6 km off of Tuesday's adventure.  In addition, while it was warm today (high 20's I'd think) it wasn't nearly as warm as it was on Tuesday.  In addition, the winds were still blowing, but much more gently.  While at my new school I  met four staff members, all of which were very friendly and kind. 

Here are some photos from my commute  home from work.


The "HILL" I was warned about.  
I'm not even sure if you can tell from this picture or not but there is a snake path that takes me up this hill.  While it's certainly not flat, it is far from the hills I have ridden on the Ironman Canada bike course.

The awful scenory.  Yes, I have to ride on a car free path beside the Maribyrnong River.  It's tough seeing the palm trees blowing in the wind and the rowers paddling on the river.

The car free bridge that I must cross.

The crowded road with the poorly marked bike path on it.

One of many quiet tree lined paths I need to follow.

As you can see from the photos above I have a very challenging ride to work.  I hope I will be able to avoid all these terrible dangers.

Karen ;-)

Oh, I still need to write about my two days of orientation (related to my international teaching fellowship - I'm not supposed to call it an exchange here - NOT linked to my school) but I've just booked a flight to Alice Springs, and a tour to Uluru (Ayer's Rock) so it will have to wait.  I'll be back the afternoon before school starts.  Happy Australia Day everyone - it's Jan 26 in case you didn't know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm....I think even I could handle the ride! Do you have a sidecar??

Sarah Marchildon said...

Looks lovely! Jealous :)

Julian13 said...

What a great ride to work, easy to be a commuter there!
Try this link if you are still looking for routes, work or otherwise.

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/melbourne+Australia

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear about Ayer's Rock! Looks like a hellish commute....Looking forward to hearing about your first day with your students!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun route, but must have got hot. No?