After a peaceful sleep B and I moved hotels. On our walk we discoverd a new but not quite yet complete hotel going for a reasonable price. We are both sure it will be two or three times more expensive once it is officially opened. So there is one good thing to report on our trip to Samui - we scored on our accomodations.
Unfortunately we are in Samui at the very tail end of monsoon season. While typically the rain has stopped by now the winds can still be high. We haven't had a blue sky day since we've been here, and really we've only had 1.5 our entire time in Thailand. Needless to say there is more disappointment as we are in a beach resort without really being able to use the beach to lay out on. We have had countless walks up and down the beach, a massage or two beside the beach, and too many strolls in and out of the shops on the one main road in town. And with all the extra time on our hands we are eating and drinking more than we should with little to no exercise - can you say "buddah belly".
Between eating and walking I have arranged to have a suit, a dress, and a pair of pants costume made for me. When I realized that I would be in Samui for the longest period of time while in Thailand I figured this is where I should have clothing made. So far I've had two fittings with a third tomorrow morning. My clothing should be ready tomorrow night. My only problem now is where am I going to pack it? Some friends are telling me to wear it all but I think I'd look funny wearing a silk dress, a skirt and a jacket, and a pair of pants. Hmmmm. Perhaps a trip to the post office to mail things forward may be in order?
Yesterday we decided to take an adventure tour. I really wanted to see the Big Buddah located on the other side of the island, and B wanted to ride an elephant. We found a tour that took us to both as well as several other attractions. We traveled from temple to water fall to elephant trek to lunch with a view (well sort of as we were above the clouds), and finally to the Big Buddah in an open air jeep. Under normal circumstances that would have been a total blast but in the pouring rain it wasn't that much fun. I can say that I have ridden an elephant (I can't say that it's the smoothest ride especially going up and down hill). As for the Big Buddah, in my excitment to see it, I managed to fall HARD on the stairs on the way down. Thankfully I didn't break any bones, or for that matter lose any blood but I did give myself a very nasty bruise. (Yes, there will be pictures once I'm back with my own computer in a little over a week).
New Years in Thailand was a different experience too - both good and bad. B and I walked the beach and the main road looking for a bar/party that was busy. What we found was a bunch of couples or families having "fancy" resort meals. We did stop at a few different bars for a drink at each but overall it was a pretty quiet new years. Having said that though the people in Thailand (and all the tourists that are here too) know how to light off fireworks. At midnight it felt like Vancouver's Symphony of Fire. Fireworks were going off all over the place, and they continued to go off into the wee hours of the night/morning. I guess since Thailand is in Asia there is a real quick and easy source for fireworks/crackers.
One costum that I thought was really cool is that people light hot air balloons into the sky. I don't know their official name but they are these paper tubes that you light at the bottom. As the tube fills with smoke/hot air it flys up and into the sky. I have some good pictures of B lighting her hot air balloon which I'll post when I can. The hot air balloons are sent up into the sky for luck. The sky was filled with them and it was very cool to see. I don't think I'd see that any where but in Thailand. (Oh, if you've ever seen the movie the BEACH there is a scene in the movie where they send the paper hot air balloons up into the sky - that's what' I'm talking about).
That's the update for now. I think B and I are both ready to leave Samui since there really isn't much for us to do without the sun shining. B leaves me tomorrow night (Jan 2) and I fly out of here the morning of the 3rd. I have three nights booked in Bangkok and then I'm off to Chaing Mai from the 6th until the 9th. I'm reunited with my laptop (hopefully!!!) on the night of the 9th and then I'm off to Hong Kong the morning of the 10th. There should be more updates before then as I know internet cafes are every where and the prices are pretty reasonable.
Sawad Dee Pee Mai ! (That's Thai for Happy New Year).
Wishing all the best for 2009.
If you're interested here's a flickr link to my photos while in Southern Thailand.
3 comments:
Hi Karen!
I am enjoying reading your post! What an exciting time for you! I look forward to reading about your adventures this year. Don't forget to switch your Skpye address to australia and accept me as a friend. I look forward to talking to you and texting to you soon. Happy New Year! From Erin Reid
Happy New Year Karen!
LOVE your blog and will keep up on your adventures. Sounds amazing.
I can't believe we are switching places for now... I hope to still be in Vancouver upon your return!
All the best in your new OZ job and in the meantime,
Safe travels/Mwende Bweno,
Tracey xox
Happy 2009!!! I am enjoying keeping track of you. It was -22 at the cabin this a.m. A little warm rain sounds good to me!!!!!!! N.
Post a Comment