Last night when I was checking the line up for the Australian Open I noticed that Serena and Venus Williams were playing doubles tennis today on one of the outside courts (read, a $29 Au ticket to get in) and I decided I'd head back to catch them. They were the third match of four in Show Court 2 (one of three bigger courts that are part of the cheaper tickets).
When I arrived the first match was still in play. There was a queue (line up) to get in but after a short wait I was in, top row, under a shade canopy. What I didn't realized was that the first match was going to take over three hours. It was Marin Cilic of Croatia vs Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia. The crowed was right into it - Serbs vs Croations and it was fun to watch. It was a close match too with Cilic winning 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
But still the William's sisters were match #3 not #2. By this point the queue outside was growing and I wasn't about to give up my seat to have to wait all over again. Thankfully the kind ladies beside me were willing to save my seat for me. When I returned a few minutes later Alize Cornet (FRA) was playing Andrea Pekovic (GER). It was a very quick match as Cornet won 6-1, 6-0.
It was now time for the William's sisters. It's funny here in Australia people don't care much for them. I guess I don't care much for them either but as someone that comes from North America I do hear a lot about them. I was happy to have my seat. One American lady traded her two tickets inside the Rod Laver arena (Centre Court) for two seats at the William's match. The Aussies around me thought she was nuts (and I'd agree with them). But to them seeing the Williams sisters was worth it. Here are some pictures.
Serena and Venus chat after each point is awarded.
It actually became annoying as they spend far too much time chatting.
Serena serving.
More chatting.
As the game continued the queue outside continued to grow. I didn't know why as I thought this match was THE match of the day in this court. But boy was I wrong. Once the Williams sisters did what they came here to do (they won in two straight sets) the fourth match of the day was about to begin. People had waited over two hours in the queue to get in. Yes, over TWO hours!! I thought the morning match between a Serbian and a Croatian was loud but this final match of the day was between Robin Soderling (SWE) and Marcos Baghdatis (CYP). While the Swedish fans were loud, the Greek fans were even louder. It was crazy. The official had to keep asking everyone to be quiet.
I stuck around for about two hours of the match but I didn't really care who won, I was getting cold and hungry, and to be perfectly honest I was tired of tennis. So I left at the start of the third set. In the end I found out that Baghdatis wow 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-3. I'm certain the place must have gone wild.
No comments:
Post a Comment